By default WordPress adds images in a vertical column on top of each other. However, if you are adding multiple photos to a page or post, this doesn’t look very clean and requires a lot of scrolling for your users. You can easily solve this problem by displaying photos in rows and columns using a grid-based layout. This way images will appear in a compact layout and improve user experience on your website.
1. You need to create a new page or post or edit an existing one where you want to display your photos. On the post edit screen, click on the Add Media button to launch the WordPress media uploader popup.
2. You need to upload all the photos you want to display in rows and columns. After the upload, you will see your photos in the media library.
The images you just uploaded will already be selected. If you want to include any previously uploaded photos, then you can select them as well by just clicking on them in media library.
3. After that you need to click on the Create Gallery link from the left column and then click on Create a new gallery button.
The popup window will now change to show gallery settings options.
4. You can select the number of columns, where each image should link to, what size of image to show, and randomize display order.
5. After that you need to click on the Insert Gallery button and WordPress will insert the gallery into your page or post.
If you want to change the number of columns or other settings, then you just need to click on the photos in editor.
WordPress will select your gallery and you can then click on the pencil icon to edit your gallery settings.